Sunday, March 21, 2010

My First Vintage

These are the very first vintage items that I ever bought in a store. When I was about five or six, my Mum took me shopping in Gastown and we went into a vintage store (I think it was DeLuxe Junk) and one of the few displays that I could actually reach was the stand of plastic jewellery and hair stuff and I saw these three hair slides from the late Fifties (I think) and I then wheedled her to buy them for me. I wanted them because they reminded me of the blue feathers that the wizard used in The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship that PBS aired as part of Long Ago And Far Away. Remember that show? I miss it terribly! Anyway, I have worn one of the barrettes almost every day for the past fifteen or so years and I have never found anything else which secures my hair as well as these do.
What was the first vintage item you bought or had a grown-up buy for you? Do you still have it and wear it?

3 comments:

Andi B. Goode said...

I can't remember the first vintage item I bought! =[ Those are cute.
And I very rarely say a movie isn't worth the price of a movie ticket, even when I'm not impressed because I think seeing most films on the big screen is far better than watching them on DVD. But that's a personal opinion. I found Alice to be very average.
-Andi x

Witchcrafted Life said...

What an absolutely charming memory (and pair of vintage items to pave the way for a life-long love of the past).

The first vintage item that I remember owning was a first aid kit that came packed in a metal case (with a red cross painted on its lid). I was immensely fascinated with the idea of a career in medicine when I was little and was always looking for "doctor" related items to collect and/or play with.

One day when I was nine years old my family went to an outdoor flea market that was held on the absolute outskirts of town (think up a winding mountain road), and there amongst scores of old license plates, coloured glass bottles, and about a half ton of dust, I found a man selling a vintage first aid kit.

He wanted $20 for it, but I already knew about the art of haggling and was able to get him down to $17 (and he really fought me - a tiny little 9 year old kid! - on it!). Though I don't have that wonderful kit (which still had all of its original bandages, rolls of gauze and other supplies intact) any more (sadly, like most of my childhood possessions it's been lost to the hands of time), I will remember it for as long as I live.

Thank you for the lovely trip down memory lane, sweet dear!


Wishing you a gorgeous Monday & week ahead!
♥ Jessica

Ivy Black said...

What a brilliant posting! I have to dig deep to remember my first vintage purchase. Not including the ancient teddy bear I took from a stall at a jumble sale and refused to part with when I was three aparently...it must be the 1960's suede patchwork bag I bought when I was about seven at another jumble sale. I kept it for years and years!
x